Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Confessions of a Random Optimist


I would like to think of myself as an optimist....but I'm also rather random; random about the things I'm interested in and random in the times that I'm optimistic. I guess I'm much like everyone else in that respect.

On days like today, it's easy to be optimistic. The sun is shining, the air is mild, nature is bursting with new life, and a tiny green and purple humming bird peeked into my window this morning when I opened the curtains. But, a morning just like this in a couple of months will find me struggling to be as positive. All I will be able think about, is how hot it will be later in the day, and that the world is being burnt brown from the relentless heat of the summer.

Unfortunately, I have found that the negative moments tend outweigh the positive in the course of my days. I'm not sure how many other people have this challenge, but as I look around me and listen to the media, it would seem that I'm not alone.

I do have a friend though, who is consistently optimistic. I don't think that I have ever seen her less than enthusiastic about life and the people around her. I love that about her. There is a part of me that longs to be like that. I guess that for people like me, the trick is to find a way to turn the negative into the positive, like she does. So, if I were to establish a goal for this blog, I would say that it will be something of a means for me to work on developing the talent for consistent optimism.

I find that when I am able to share things that I've learned, or my talents, or just cool things that I find, it feeds my optimism. So, within these pages you'll be treated to my numerous and random interests. But there will also be, I hope, many posts devoted to discovering the optimist within.

As this will be a journey of sorts for me, and it's always more fun to travel with a friend, all are welcome to join me as I explore my random interests, work to be more consistent in finding the positive in my life, and learn how to make my optimism less random.

Hummingbird photo courtesy of DebbieMous

2 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel. Especially about the hot summers..LOL!! The beauty of this world is that for every negative there is at least one+ positive. The trick is to learn how to spot them or turning the negatives into positives. Looking forward to going on this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! You are not alone and I, like you started my blog so I could find more positive things in my days. I find it is easier if I know that I need something to blog about. Hears to watching your journey.

    ReplyDelete